From Pharrell Williams’ chart-topping hit “Happy” to Sharon Salzman’s “Real Happiness at Work”, it’s no wonder our happiness is foremost in our minds. Yet in our fast-paced, challenging, stressful lives, real happiness seems elusive.
So what exactly is happiness? Most people agree that happiness involves feeling good, and wanting to go on feeling that way. Unhappiness involves feeling bad about our selves and our lives, and therefore, wanting things to change for the better.
Elizabeth Lombardo, Ph.D, and author of the best-selling book “A Happy You”, says the first step is recognizing what you already have in your life right now, and being grateful for it. So, what makes you happy?
Here are five steps to generate greater happiness, despite challenges you may be facing.
- Forgive others and yourself. Forgiveness is the first step to real happiness.
- Connect with others. Find friends and groups of like-minded people who support each other.
- Take care of your body and mind. Exercise is a powerful tool for feeling good.
- Find passion, purpose and meaning in work and relaxation activities that support your dreams.
- Be part of something bigger than yourself. Serve organizations that support the causes in which you believe.
For many of us, happiness is a choice. Reality is not. It seems that making a choice to be happy actually can change your reality!
If you need a blast of happiness I recommend you consider coming to an intuitive painting class that totally support happiness, enjoyment and fun. Check it out.